1. January 20 – Franklin D. Roosevelt is inaugurated to a fourth term as President of the United States, the only President ever to exceed two terms.
2. January 27th the Soviet Red Army liberates the Auschwitz and Birkenau concentration camps. Photograph of prisoners at Auschwitz-Birkenau during liberation.
3. 14th April Bearers put the casket of President Franklin D. Roosevelt into a hearse during the funeral ceremony for President Roosevelt
4. Hitler commits suicide April 30th
5. May 8th is declared V-E Day. Military personnel and civilians celebrating V-E Day on Sparks Street, Ottawa, Canada
6. San Francisco Conference establishes the United Nations. April- June.
7. Potsdam Conference (Stalin, Truman, Churchill) establish basis of German reconstruction July-August.
8. Atomic bombing of Nagasaki. US drops atomic bombs on Japanese cities of Hiroshima 6th August, ad Nagasaki, 9th August.
9. 2nd September Japan signs official surrender on V-J Day. Here Britain celebrates signing of the Peace with Japan.
10. ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator), the first allelectronic computer is completed.